Monday, November 20, 2006

Amtrak had me in a foul mood until I saw the front page of the Times.


[Photo credit: Tom Hanson/Canadian Press, via Associated Press, via NYT.] I don't even know who the dude in the yellow in the back right is but his mildly disapproving look only adds to the fun. (I know that lower left dude is Chinese President Hu Jintao but not because the Times told me -- interestingly enough they only id the white people in the photo.) The photo might've been particularly effective at improving my mood due to a bit of a girl-crush that I have on Chilean President Michelle Bachelet. Tee!

I needed this photo after a pain in the ass run-in with Amtrak this morning (and last night). While at dinner with Genger last night, I realized that I should probably figure out how to get home for Thanksgiving. Normally, I rent a car (surprisingly cheap through AAA) due to its convenience, but I wasn't looking forward to driving through holiday traffic on Wednesday. So last night, on Genger's urging, I went to the Amtrak website to book a train.

When did trains become the most expensive way to travel? I used to train between Jersey and DC all the time for around $80 one-way. When I looked up Wednesday afternoon, I was greeted with scads of sold-out reserve trains and a sampling of Acelas at a mere $193 a pop. ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY THREE DOLLARS. ONE WAY. Seriously?

So I checked earlier to see if one of the reserve trains was still open. I saw the 11:30am train was available for $128 (still more than I'd like to spend but whatever) so I went for it. I filled in my name, credit card info, address, and pressed the big orange PURCHASE button. That's when I got an error message saying that my train was sold out. How shitty is your software that you can't hold a train for a customer through the 2-minute period that it takes to fill in purchase information? Ugh.

After refreshing a few times and only having a 7:25am train available in a price I was willing to spend (still $128), I decided to just go to bed and book something this morning. Maybe they'd add trains or cars or something. Ha! Anyway, not only did the 7:25am train sell out coach seats (leaving me the option of taking a $152 business class seat), but the stupid site wouldn't take my AAA discount because it was less than 3 days before my travel. Nearly at the end of my rope, I decided to just suck it up and take a 6:35am train for $111. (This was after pricing a plane ticket and discovering that the only reasonable flights to the area were out of gruesome Dulles and into inconveniently distant JFK.) So I went through the billing process again.

Yes, you guessed it. Another error message. This time it wasn't about the train being sold out, just some nonsense about the system screwing up. So I called Amtrak. That's when I got one of those creepy automated systems. Named Julie. They're always named Julie or Sandy or some other white girl diminutive. It's never like, "Hi, this is Ramon, Amtrak's automated phone service," or "Hello beta, this is Anjali." But I digress. Julie weirded me out and was a bit complicated. By the time I got her to check trains, I had already successfully purchased the 6:35am train online.

So now I'm paying $111 to travel home at 6:35am in coach. I hate Amtrak. But I love Bush and Putin looking like they're about to make out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only Chilean you love is me, damnit!