Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Bar Crawl

I passed both the New Jersey and New York bar exams. I found out about NJ the other night after I met up with Ale at a bar. I'd spent the day serene in my ignorance not knowing that Jersey had been released until Ale informed me. I had to force his lovely girlfriend Rachel to take me to her apartment so I could check. Of course, I initially looked at the wrong candidate number and thought I'd failed. Big ups to Moira, Ale, and Rachel for being with me at the time.

New York came out this morning. At 9am. I woke up at one point during the night and actually said, out loud, "I wonder if it's 9am yet." It was 4:30am. I spent the last hour before the results were posted refreshing the website every 5 minutes or so. Finally the link appeared (highlighted in yellow) and, after inputting my social security number and birthdate, I peered through my fingers and saw . . . a lot of little text. I guess I was expecting a large PASSED or FAILED to flash across the screen. Instead, I was greeted with a congratulatory paragraph, which, yes, I actually had to read to determine if I'd passed. After getting the good news, I was completely overwhelmed with relief. I think I might have peed a little.

I feel very lucky to have made it through a terrible process that is nothing more than hazing. I'd like to thank God, my family and friends, the Italian World Cup Team, and the lovely people at Johnnie Walker.

4 comments:

Sara and David said...

I never had any doubts.

Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

In my defense, Al came out to meet me, so I figured he didn't fail the NJ bar. I asked him how his day was, he said fine. Then I asked him again, and he looked at me skeptically, likely wondering why a jerk like myself would ask him how he was doing two times. At this point I had an "oh, shit" moment when I realized that Al had no idea that NJ had released bar results that day. So I told him. It was an akward twenty minutes that followed.

BTW, way to pee yourself

cm said...

Who is my favorite little attorney on retainer?

YOU ARE!

Anonymous said...

I've now completed three waiver applications into the dc bar. let me know when you want me to start on yours!

ps you suck a lot for not calling me once while in nj