Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Auspicious Beginnings

I started my new job yesterday. So far, so good:

1) "Hit the ground running" is not just lip service at Legal Aid. I had three intakes on my desk when I walked into my office. By the end of the day, I was given my first two cases. One has a further initial return on Friday. My birthday is going to be my first day in court.

2) After asking one of the other attorneys where I should get coffee, I was directed to a small, independent coffee spot right around the corner. I can't really remember what it's called, but the word "sip" is somehow involved. Anyway, not only was the coffee quite good, my friend Anne was there. And she goes nearly every day because her office is right nearby. Fun!

3) At my welcome breakfast, my boss decided that I should go see our appellate attorney argue in front of the DC Court of Appeals. So I went. She was good. Even better was seeing the attorneys arguing the case before her. If they all had successful careers, I should have no problem. One guy actually interrupted the judge so many times that she actually had to say, "Can you let me finish a statement?" Yeah. You shouldn't do that to the judge. Ass.

4) Sarada's in town for a few days to present her thesis so, after work, we had a few drinks and then met Cicie for dinner. (Note to DC readers: Dakota Cowgirl has changed its menu.)

5) This morning I woke up really early (it probably helped that I went to bed before 11pm last night). I decided to walk over to CVS to get allergy medicine and pick up a Gatorade. (I really like lemon-lime Gatorade. I drink it constantly. I'm not sporty, so I find it a little weird.) Guess what I saw when I walked into CVS. Yup. Gatorade was ON SALE. I now have 160 fluid ounces of Gatorade in my apartment. BAM.

I feel good. So good, in fact, that my next post won't be a silly list and will, instead, have a coherent narrative.

2 comments:

cm said...

And I hear "Mr. blue Sky" playing in the background.

Unknown said...

AL!
you inspire me, you old chap. there is a world out there for us non-firm-I-actually-want-to-do-something-good-in-life law people. you give me hope. make some space in there for me, buddy. i might be joining you in 1.5 years.
xo
c