Sunday, August 13, 2006

Open Letter to ATM Boy

Dear ATM Boy:

On my first day in Vientiane, after I awoke from my afternoon nap, I set out to find John and Chris at JoMa Cafe. On my way, I ran into you on the street and you asked me if I knew where you might find an ATM. Sadly, I had no answer for you, but I wished you luck and went on my way. I must admit that I didn't really think twice about our short exchange.

Then I ran into you again. This time you were on your way to an internet cafe. I asked if you if you had found your ATM and you told me you had. I probably should've asked you if you wanted to get a drink with us, but I didn't. I walked away a tiny bit sad, but I assumed we'd never see each other again. I was wrong.

As John, Chris, and I were walking to Kop Chai Dee (I realize it's probably not spelled that way) I passed you once more! It took me a second to figure out it was you because you'd changed into a red t-shirt. We briefly joked about running into one another again. (I thankfully repressed the potentially creepy stalker joke I was going to make.) I asked if you wanted to grab a drink, but you told me that you had a really early bus to Louang Prabang the next morning.

Because I am completely normal and not at all obsessive and strange, I have decided that there was some cosmic force controlling our repeated meetings. I think you hold the key to some fundamental truth that I need to discover. Or something. I will keep an eye out for you as I travel through Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia. If I should see you again, please be ready to tell me what I should do with my life.

Thank you,
Colonial Jumbo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't be sure, but I swear I saw the same guy, in a small provice of China, running for his life from an opium warlard from whom he stole 2 virginal maidens.

Or, perhaps, that it was the OTHER ATM guy...

sp said...

this is the most brilliant thing i've ever read.