Friday, April 27, 2007

Thumpin' Thursday

I know that there's usually a theme -- or at least some semblance of narrative coherence -- to most of my posts, but I don't have the energy for that at the moment and I have a number of small things I want to discuss. Please indulge me and allow for the following disjointed list:

1) The biggest thing going on right now is that I've decided to return to my roots. After a brief stint as a in-house attorney at a large nonprofit, I chose today to take a new job. The choice to return to direct legal services was a surprisingly easy one, but the choice of how to return was a significantly more difficult endeavor. I had to choose between a familiar and spectacular opportunity and something new, and in the end I felt that, as a young lawyer, I needed to take a risk and expand my fount of experience. I'll be starting at Legal Aid sometime in May and I'm more excited than I've been in a long time.

2) After being able to avoid American Idol for a bunch of seasons, I am now officially hooked. Last night's "Idol Gives Back" episode was an emotional rollercoaster. Still, the thing I appreciated most was that a show that gets more eyeballs than any newspaper in America actually drew attention to: (a) the genocidal effect of AIDS in Africa; (b) the pervasive illiteracy in Appalachia; (c) the unavoidable violence in our inner cities; (d) the mindboggling unecessary deaths to malaria in Africa; and (e) the absolute mess that is New Orleans. On top of that, they raised (by early accounts) SIXTY MILLION DOLLARS for programs to combat the above tragedies. Say what you will about American Idol, but in one two-night event Ryan Seacrest probably raised more awareness of poverty (if not money to fight it) than our government has done in the last six years.

3) Tonight's Dem debate was off the meter. My initial thoughts, in a sub-list:
(a) I think the three candidates that came off best were (and I'm almost a little shocked to say this): Joe Biden, Chris Dodd, and Hillary Clinton.
(b) I was struck at how ill-at-ease Barack Obama appeared to be. He had some decent moments, but the worst was when he allowed himself to get pulled into the nonsense Kucinich was spewing. Kucinich is considered a 6th tier candidate, Barry. What were you thinking? There's a reason the rest of the panel (even nutty, nutty Mike Gravel) ignored him.
(c) Gravel. I mean, I don't really even know what to say. He makes McCain look like the textbook definition of sanity. My favorite quote: "Who are you going to nuke, Barack?! WHO ARE YOU GOING TO NUKE!?!?"
(d) Bill Richardson was trying to do his best impression of a "Conservative Democrat." Somehow, I didn't care. Also, I really don't appreciate when people don't follow the rules of a debate. You were asked about Cuba, douchey, don't talk to me about Iraq.
(e) Speaking of not caring, Edwards? I've never seen someone so hot come off as so freakin' bland. And the chasm of silence that met the "moral leader" question was embarassing.
(f) And, finally, Brian Williams is entirely too much of a lightweight to moderate a debate like this. Shit was completely out of control.

4) There is no number 4. There is no Miss Zarves. (Anyone? Anyone?!?!)

3 comments:

NA said...

This blog used to be a good giggle for things I already knew. Now that I'm reading you from abroad, you've become my international authority on US pop culture, US politics, and life in Washington DC.

Your ideal job isn't law, where one has to speak in metered doses, it's a seat on Mahr or McLaughlin, where you can pontificate profusely.

Sara and David said...

Congrats on the Legal Aid job. Good luck and be looking for a happy hour email sometime soon.

The TerenZoner said...

Really? NO ONE got the "Miss Zarves" reference? No one?!