Wednesday, October 11, 2006

At least we saved the Iraqi people . . .

. . . or not. From the Wall Street Journal:
A new study asserts that roughly 600,000 Iraqis have died from violence since the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003, a figure many times higher than any previous estimate.

And, later from the same article, some context:
Human Rights Watch has estimated Saddam Hussein's regime killed 250,000 to 290,000 people over 20 years.

For my readers who couldn't crack 600 on the math SAT, that means that more than double the Iraqis that died during 20 years of Saddam Hussein have been killed in the 3.5 years of U.S. involvement.

So let's see . . . we all know that we didn't find weapons of mass destruction, a recent intelligence report told us that we're fueling Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism, and now we've gotten more Iraqis killed in 3.5 years than a loon like Saddam was able to pull off in 20. For the sake of the people of Iran, I really hope we're not invading right before the election like some are predicting. And not to excuse North Korea but, if I were a foreign country, I'd probably be arming myself, too.

2 comments:

graham said...

didn't you hear - president bush says that the study is not credible. he's sticking by the 30,000 figure. i guess "compassionate conservatism" means belittling the severity of the loss of iraqi lives.

Michael said...

I got higher than 600. Drop me a line. We'll do the email catch up thing. Hope homecoming was fun at Tufts, but I was at a Tufts wedding, for an RA who married his resident, to hit on a previous topic!