Friday, October 27, 2006

GOTV.

So, I suppose this is as good a forum as any to announce that I'm leaving DC for a few weeks. I've decided that my time between now and Election Day is best spent working towards that possible yet still distant goal of achieving a Democratic majority in the U.S. Senate. As you probably know, the Dems need to gain at least six (6) seats to take back the Senate. At the moment, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Montana are all leaning toward flipping from red to blue. Missouri, Virginia, and Tennessee are all complete toss-ups (the latter two with the mildest Republican advantage). Fortunately, no senate seat seems to be in danger of flipping blue to red. No seat, that is, except Bob Menendez from NJ. If the Dems lose Jersey, they must win all three of the other toss-ups to have a majority in the Senate. And that just isn't likely.

With that in mind -- and even though he bugged me royally when he voted for the Military Commissions Act -- I've decided to return to my home state and join the campaign to elect Menendez to the U.S. Senate. As you probably know, this is a pretty momentous period in my state's history and I'm really looking forward to getting involved with NJ politics for a bit. I'll be back in DC shortly after Election Day. (Unless the Dems win back neither the House nor the Senate, in which case I'll be bartending at Angkor What? in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Tell me that you read the blog and I'll give you a free drink.)

Remember to vote, fellow Democrats, especially if you vote in one of the seven states mentioned above. Also, be sure to get out the vote (GOTV). Have friends in those states who might vote Dem? Drop them an e-mail and remind them to vote, order an absentee ballot, and press their friends and family to do the same. If the Dems take back Congress then maybe -- just maybe, -- this world will stop sucking as much as it has over the last six years. Keep hope alive.

[BTW, worry not. I plan to blog from Jersey.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! So excited! Do you have contacts already? The campaign people finally stopped calling me when I yelled at them a few weeks ago. Long story short, but I kept trying to explain to them, yes, I'll help, but I live in Hudson County now, give the Hudson County Dems my number, and after the 37th time (not kidding) I yelled. Anyway, when are you returning to the dirty? Come and have dinner with me and Phil in Harrison!

Anonymous said...

You better be back in DC when I get there! :-P