Saturday, October 21, 2006

Simply sleep!

I think I'm developing some variation of a social anxiety disorder. It's not that I'm scared of being among people. It's more that I find myself really annoyed around people on the street and, whenever I venture out, I'm strangely uneasy and always want to return home as soon as possible. Tonight was no different. Instead of braving the crazy streets of north Dupont, I opted to call Pane Bella for a falafel sandwich and some hummus and spend the evening watching a movie. I've had Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? for a few months now -- I love what a waste of money my Netflix subscription has become -- so it seemed like the perfect thing to keep me busy on a lazy Friday night. Until I fell asleep at 8:30pm.

I choose to blame Pane Bella (and not only because their name is grammatically incorrect in Italian*). I called at 5:30pm and placed my order: one falafel sandwich no tomato, one order of roasted red pepper hummus, two extra pitas, and a coke. Not too shabby. The dude said 45 minutes but my phone rang in only 30. I was so super-psyched to recreate the good ol' days of eating PB while watching TV that I did a half skip back into my apartment after paying the delivery man. It wasn't until I was perched on my bed and tearing through the white plastic bag that I noticed something was missing. Pain in my ass. I called the restaurant and, in as genteel a manner as I could muster, informed the gentleman on the other end that the falafel sandwich wasn't in my order. Dude apologized and assured me that he'd send my sandwich immediately. That was 6pm.

I was finally able to sit down to some tzatziki goodness at 7:30pm. What's worse, when I called to bitch (at around 7:15pm) dude, while apologetic, didn't even offer to comp me some mozzarella sticks or something. Do I stand alone in thinking that stores and restaurants should do something to appease customers they've wronged? I'm not asking for a free meal, but chuck a friggin' coupon [pronounced koo-pohn, not q-pohn] or some tabouli in there. I've always liked Pane Bella, but they have to go on the shit list for a bit. Crap. Delivery dining is such a big part of my world these days. Removing Pane Bella from rotation will be hard. Pizza Movers is about to have a very strong fourth quarter.

After the stress of dinner, I guess my body was just too tuckered out to do anything else. Even as I was falling asleep, I remember thinking that it was a really stupid idea to hit the sack before 9pm. I can't remember the last time I went to bed before 11pm and slept through the night but I think I was two at the time. Now it's 2:30am and I'm wide awake. I took two Simply Sleep about an hour ago in an effort to knock myself out but, sadly, they don't seem to be working. What's worse is that my corner seems to be THE place for fighting tonight. I just spent 10 minutes listening to two people, one male and one female:

Him: You're a bitch.
Her: No, you're a bitch.
Him: Fuck no! You're the bitch.
Her: I hate you! You're such a bitch.
And so on . . . .

Meh. I guess it's better than the time those two middle-aged, British gay dudes beat each other down outside my window. One of them had a bit of a mohawk. I think he would've won the fight if the police hadn't shown up.

I should go to bed before I try to eat something.


-------
* Pane = bread; bella = pretty. But "pane" is masculine, so it should be Pane BellO. Then again, the name "Pretty Bread" is fairly stupid to begin with, so let's not quibble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Low carb Trolley agrees, bread is not pretty, it is the enemy, and should die